One of the greatest advantages that devices with Android software have over iOS, its biggest competitor, is that the OS (Operating System) developed by Google is much more customizable, which has allowed, in fact, each company to develop an interface own as is the case of Nova Launcher.
Such is the case of big brands, like Xiaomi, which radically changes the software, calling it MIUI; On the other hand, companies like Lenovo do not modify the software as such, but rather the launcher or application launcher, an application that will be the focus of this article.
It is very common that, when we have a “pure” Android device in hand, we want to customize it because, after all, the mobile is, for everyone, an extension of the body, at least today.
In this article, we will cover various aspects of a particular launcher, which has earned a reputation as one of the best or even, if you ask a satisfied user, the best launcher available since a long time: The Nova launcher.
What do you need to Download and Tips?
Although this launcher adapts to almost all devices available on the market, there are minimum requirements that are indicated by the developer itself, which we will leave you here:
- First of all, check that you have a stable Internet connection, so you can download the application without any problem. You can also, if you prefer, download it with your mobile data, since it weighs almost nothing: approximately 9 MB.
- According to the developer himself, there is no “minimum” requirement in terms of software, saying that it varies depending on the device. In some pages they recommend having b (Ice Cream Sandwich) or higher, but the truth is that in some devices with Android 2.4 (Gingerbread) there is compatibility.
- You can assume that this application needs a lot of resources to be able to work, so with a basic mobile it is not good to use it: false; the Nova launcher will adapt according to the resources of your mobile and will manage them in the most appropriate way: Sometimes it is even a better resource manager than the default launcher of some devices!
We tell you in advance that the version that we will help you install in this article is the free version, since there is a paid version: Nova launcher prime. The paid version costs around €5, so if you like the free version, support the project and buy.
Download Instructions and Tips
How do I install the Nova launcher on my Android?
Android, from the outset, has two ways to install its own applications from the store, from the computer and from the mobile itself; In addition to these two ways, we will tell you another, which is more complex but is very common for users with a little more knowledge.
But don’t worry, we will leave you the steps well specified below each of the ways to install the Nova launcher, join us.
Through the Google store, on mobile
- Find the Google Play Store and open it.
- Once the store is open, tap on the search bar at the top.
- Once the search bar and keyboard are displayed, type Nova launcher or the keyword Nova.
- Different results will appear, but if you have done the search correctly, the first one will be the one we want; make sure that the developer is TeslaCoil Software, so you can know that you will be downloading the original application.
- Tap on the “INSTALL” button and accept the conditions.
- In some cases, especially if you have not yet made a purchase and, therefore, have not linked a payment method, Google will open an interface that says “add payment method”, do not be alarmed, it is just a way to convince you for you to spend more, it is not necessary to add it, if you look closely, the word “SKIP” or “SKIP” appears in the lower left corner.
- Once this is done, the same store will proceed to install the app.
- You will be able to touch the word “OPEN” and you will be ready to start using your new launcher.
- Don’t delete the organization you had in the previous one: you can import the shortcuts from one launcher to another, if you want to leave the distribution you had or, at least, base yourself on it.
- All you have to do is follow the instructions that the application itself gives you and that’s it! You will have the Nova launcher not only installed, but also configured, or at least partially.
If you are a little attentive, you will see that in the “more by this developer” section, the Nova launcher prime appears and another application that we will talk about later, in the tips section.
Through the Google store, on the computer
Before starting this process, you must meet two essential conditions to be able to install any application, since, if you do not meet them, you will not be able to continue with the rest of the steps, let’s see them:
- Computer and mobile must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network, otherwise the installation will not be possible.
- You will need to sign in with the same Google account on both devices, otherwise Google will not be able to read your connected devices.
With that being said, let’s proceed with the steps:
- Search Google for Google store or Google Play Store, you can also access it from the following link: https://play.google.com/store
- Once the main page of the store is loaded, click on the search bar of the store and type the name of the application or, as we told you before, the keyword Nova will suffice.
- Click the “INSTALL” button. Above this box, the same store places you, with an information symbol, if your devices (if you have more than one) are compatible with the application or not.
- Once you have clicked, an interface will open in which there will be a device selection bar, there you will have to select the target device of the application.
- It will take a couple of seconds for the installation to start, so please wait.
- It will start the download and installation of the application on your mobile / tablet, wait for it to finish.
- Once the app is installed, follow the steps that it tells you, among which is importing your current configuration, everything is in your hands!
Installation from a “. apk” file, from mobile or computer
We tell you in advance that, if you do the installation from the computer, you will first have to move (in the way you want) the apk file to the memory or to a micro SD card that you insert in the phone. You can even upload the apk to a cloud service and download it from there.
Having limited the above, let’s see the steps to follow:
- First of all, although you can do it after you have downloaded the apk file, enable the “unknown sources” feature. The path to activate it is as follows: settings-security.
- You can easily get the apk file on the internet by searching for “Nova launcher apk”, there are, in fact, pages for it. Of course, not all of them are safe. We leave you a link to a secure website: http://nova-launcher.uptodown.com/android
- Once the apk file is downloaded, locate it on your mobile or tablet and proceed to install it; You will have to accept some conditions first, which are the permissions that Android will give to the application.
- Wait for it to install, once installed, find it in your launcher and open it.
- As in the rest of the steps, everything is up to you, because you can “do whatever you want” with the Nova launcher.
Tips for Downloading and Tips
- Our first tip is related to the last installation method: what is it useful for if I can install the application from the store much more quickly and safely? For a very simple reason: updates.
- There are times when, for one reason or another, the developers of a certain application, in this case the Nova launcher, make a mistake and you can’t run the launcher properly or it just crashes (abruptly closes) every few minutes.
- Once the update is done, through the Play Store you will not be able to go back, so you will have to download the previous version from outside (see the versions section) and load all your settings that you have saved using the following advice that we give you: make a backup of the Nova launcher.
- Making a backup is very simple, you only have to go to settings and scroll down to the end, it can vary depending on the version, because in some it is as an option alone and in others in the security section: the fact is that you make a copy You don’t know when you’ll need it.
- Do you remember when we told you that we would tell you about a companion application of this launcher? That application is called TeslaUnread for Nova Launcher and is responsible for counting the number of notifications or messages (depending on the application) unread on your part. If you are organized and like to keep track of everything, you will like it yes or yes.
- In the same way, the Nova launcher will allow you to customize elements such as the size of icons, effects, layout of the launcher, custom size of widgets (such as the clock) and an element that causes a lot of “illusion” among users, the customization of icons. and the wallpaper.
- You can apply themes that the same application already includes, but you can also go to the store and search for Icon pack or icon pack and you will see that a vast variety of packages will be displayed with which you can give a more personal touch even to your mobile or Tablet. Remember to confirm its compatibility with the Nova launcher, although most of them are.
- Anyway, as we suggested at the beginning of this article, support the project if you really like the app, it costs €5 and you won’t have to pay again. We hope that this article has been very helpful to you and that you have found it entertaining to read, see you!